28 March 2016 by Erik Fuste
Your back is burnt from laying on the white sandy beaches of your Florida vacation. You just arrived home rested, relaxed and ready to go back to your daily routine. You put the keys in the front door lock and quickly open knowing you have to run to turn off your home alarm. As you enter for the first time in a week you are surprised and angered to see that your living room has turned into a pool. Your furniture is sitting in 6 inches of water and in your shock you forget to turn off the alarm. Your alarm blares and you high knee through the water.
Ok so maybe I’m being a bit dramatic but when a water intrudes your home it is definitely not fun and is moment for quick action. The longer you wait to more potential there is for damage to your furniture, floors, walls and even your health. That is why quick action is needed. I have compiled a list of Do’s and Don’ts to help you through these critical first moments.
- Eliminate the source of water
- Turn off circuit breakers if safe to do so.
- Remove and secure small furniture if possible
- Protect carpet from staining using foil (plastic and furniture tabs, plastic wrap) beneath furniture legs.
- Hang draperies and pin up furniture skirts.
- Remove books, shoes, paper goods, fabrics, potted plants and other items that may stain carpet.
- Remove an secure breakables
- Contact a doctor if you have any health concerns
- Be cautious of slip hazards
- Call BioResponse ;) 855-887-4272
- Use vacuum equipment.
- Use newspaper on wet surfaces.
- Walk across wet surfaces any more than necessary.
- Activate the building system.
- Adjust indoor temps.
- Enter an area with standing water, until circuit breakers off.
- Consume food in loss area
- Use personal hygiene items left in the affected area
- Use home fans to dry wet surfaces
Try to avoid any activity that puts you at risk of electrical shock or exposed to any toxins. Additionally,
attempt to avoid any activity that may create secondary damage from moisture.
BioResponse ensures rapid response to help reduce long term damage and the potential for toxic mold.
Calling us is the first step to moving on.